Robert “Rusty” P Turner, MD, MSCR, is the owner and CEO of Network Neurology in Charleston, South Carolina. He began this new endeavor with more than 16 years of faithful clinical work, teaching, and research at MUSC. He is a member of the Roper-St Francis Hospital System and an Associate Researcher with the MIND Research Institute in Irvine, California.
Dr. Turner maintains a full-time clinical, teaching, and neurophysiology practice with patients referred from throughout the southeastern regions of the United States. While working full time work at MUSC since 1997, he obtained a Master’s of Science degree in Clinical Research (epidemiology and biostatistics) in 2003 through the MUSC College of Graduate Studies.
He has since then been actively involved in ongoing clinical research with collaborative studies in non-invasive neurostimulation and neuromodulation techniques, as well as advanced techniques of EEG source analysis.
Dr. Turner’s current clinical research in non-invasive neuromodulation involves collaborating with colleagues in Charleston, South Carolina; Cape Town, South Africa; Mexico City, Mexico; Beijing, China; and several other clinical research practices throughout the United States.
Dr. Turner started his college career as a music and foreign language major, and during medical school, he also pursued Master’s training in Piano Performance at the University of Nebraska at Omaha Graduate School. After Medical School, his postgraduate training consisted of internship and residency in Pediatrics; followed by two fellowships, one in Adult/Child Neurology, and the second in Clinical Neurophysiology/EMG/Neuromuscular Disorders; and his current clinical/research emphases of pediatric epilepsy/epileptogenesis, the non-linear effects of auditory and music stimulation on the brain, as well as neuromodulation techniques.
He continues to pursue his love of music and is an accomplished classical pianist. He has received numerous awards and honors at MUSC over more than 16 years of diligent, dedicated service, including multiple Faculty Excellence Awards for teaching, AREA Awards for excellence in ambulatory care, Golden Apple Nominations and Awards, and double honors in humanism with the AAMC Humanism in Medicine Award and the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award.
Dr. Turner is multiply Board-Certificated:
1. National Board of Medical Examiners
2. American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology With Special Qualification in Child Neurology
3. American Board of Pediatrics
4. American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
5. American Society of Neurorehabilitation Certification
6. American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology
7. American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology With Added Qualification in Clinical Neurophysiology
8. American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology With Added Qualification in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities
9. Quantitative Electroencephalograpy (QEEG) Certification Board
10. Biofeedback Certification International Alliance in Neurofeedback
11. Biofeedback Certification International Alliance in Biofeedback
12. American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology with Added Qualification in Epilepsy